Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Top 5 Things A First Time Mom Needs

I was thinking yesterday about all the baby stuff they have out now. Must haves that every new Mom must sit and debate over whether it is worth it to have it. I remember how overwhelmed I felt walking into Babies R Us for the first time, walls and walls of baby stuff all around me. Seriously, do you need a little bag to put pacifiers in or warmers for wipes? How do you keep from buying stuff that don't really need?! Well, after much debate, I registered for things I thought I would need most and now that Kaylee is here I realize I did not do half bad. So without further ado, here is my

Top 5 Things A First Time Mom Needs

1. Travel Systems. You can't leave the hospital without the carseat. I personally loved ours that you could carry into places while baby is sleeping and am glad that I picked it. Our travel system included a stroller that is the Cadillac of all strollers. It is huge, but is smooth to push. It was nice to have when Kaylee was smaller because the carseat snaps right into it for easy transfer. Now that she is bigger I only see myself using it during long outings such as zoo visits or park visits.

2. Pack-N-Play. Wow! One of the best things ever made! Ours came with bassinet and diaper changing table features. Both were so great to have when Kaylee was smaller. The best thing about the pack-n-play though is that it is a portable bed wherever you go. We like to hang out with friends in the evenings so we just load the pack-n-play into the car and go. She goes to sleep in it and then when we are ready to go home we can just pack it all up and go. Love this item!


3. Breathable Bumpers. These things rock! They, of course, are breathable. Kaylee would move around and have her face pressed up against her normal bumpers and I was so scared that one morning she would not be breathing when I went in there so I took her bumpers out. The next morning when I went in there to get her because she was screaming. She had her arm stuck between the slats! That is when I found breathable bumpers. They keep arms and legs in, but let her breathe which makes me as a Mom feel more comfortable. They also collapse so if she tries to use them to step out of the crib, she will not be able to do so. They are AMAZING!

4. Boppy. I know some Mom's may disagree with me on this one, but let me give my explanation before you write it off. I used the Boppy when I was nursing to hold Kaylee up. I would prop myself up on my body pillow and nurse Kaylee while sitting up. Sometimes I would fall asleep while nursing unintentionally, but I was never worried about rolling over her or her falling off the bed because she was nestled into the Boppy on my lap and like I said I was sitting up. Also, as Kaylee got a little older and started sitting up on her own, it was nice to have to sit behind her in case she fell back. We have hardwood floors and if we would not have had the Boppy behind her she would have hit the floor. Now we use it to let her feed herself her bottle. She lays back on the Boppy either while on our laps or on the floor and feeds herself while propped up rather than being flat. It makes it easier for her. It has been used a lot for a lot of different things, which is why it has made the cut!

5. Diaper Changing Table. Ironically, this is the one item I do not have, but definitely want for the next kid. We had the changing table feature on the pack-n-play, but Kaylee weighs too much for it now. We just use a pad and change her on the couch, but I get tired of it being in my living room and on my couch. I would prefer to have a table or a pad on top of her dresser in her room like we did when she was smaller. It is convenient and it is not a strain on your back. This is a must have to me!

Let me know what you think!

Joyful Moment of the Day: Kaylee had her first big girl bath today! She loved it! (And Titus, our cat, came in to see what was going on which made it even more amusing!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...