Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Habitual Acts

Over the past few days I have come to notice exactly how habitual I am.

When I go anywhere, I always park in the same general area so I am not that person you laugh at as the walk aimlessly through the parking lot with no clue where their car is. (I also don't want to be in the cold any more than necessary.)

I have my routine in the morning. Shut alarm off. Roll over. Get phone. Put slippers on. Pee. Brush teeth. Fix breakfast. Open blinds. Get Kaylee. Change Kaylee's diaper. Feed Kaylee and myself. - You get the point.

When I get on the internet, I have an order in which I check my stuff. G-Mail. Facebook. Blogspot. Netflix.

I drive the same route to different places. I even know which lanes are the best ones to be in to get there in the best time.

Then there is the bathroom.  I always use the same stall.  Partially because I have tried others and in some of the stalls the toilet paper is harder to manage. Mostly because I am simply a creature of habit.

I just find it super interesting how habitual I am and how difficult it is to start a new habit or quit one.  However, I have no problem succumbing to my habitual acts - usually without thought.  My body goes on auto-pilot when it comes to these habitual things that I do. (Driving is the worst one!)

I started thinking about how habitual I was when I went into the bathroom and my stall was "out of order." I just stood there confused for a moment before I realized I still had a reason for going into the bathroom in the first place.

What kind of crazy habits do you guys have?  Are you as habitual as I am?

Joyful Moment of the Day: Having Nick and Kendra over for dinner and a boardgame.  It has been a really long time since we have had an evening with them where we weren't having to watch our girls.  It was nice to just enjoy their company while our girls were sleeping.

1 comment:

  1. You said it..once you get in a routine it's hard when you get out of it. I've come to depend on a routine and feel out of sorts when it's thrown off! If I don't unload the dishes and put a load of laundry in after giving the kids breakfast everything is off! LOL
    Hope you are feeling good! I haven't had much chance to catch up on blogs lately! Thinkin of you! =o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...