Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Cancer Dilemma

Yesterday my Mom and Dad met with my Mom's new oncologist. Going into the appointment they knew that there was .9 mm of cancer left around the edge of her muscle where she had the mastectomy and that she was going to have to take a pill for the next 5 years.

What they were not anticipating was that the oncologist was going to recommend she have radiation and chemo.

The cancer that is still in there was unexpected by her original surgeon and that if they were not immediately doing reconstruction then he would have recommended a second surgery to remove the rest from the muscle. However, since the reconstruction was happening that day and already set in motion, they continued with the procedure. (They start doing the reconstruction during the mastectomy.) After her surgery was complete, her surgeon said that she should be alright if she just takes the pill.

Her new oncologist thinks otherwise.

I don't know all of the scientific jargon, but the cancer that was left could potentially spread to other places of her body if the pill does not work. Or she could be assured that the cancer is gone by putting her body through chemo and radiation along with taking the pill.

My heart is hurting for my Mom and Dad.

Could you please pray for them? They have to make this decision by next Friday. They need wisdom and discernment about what to do. And confidence and peace about their decision.


  1. so sorry, Krista. Yes, I will be praying for them.

  2. Cancer never give easy decisions. So sorry. We will be praying for them.

  3. Praying for your family! -jesika


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...