Monday, January 20, 2014

Blueberry Corn Muffins

In my last blog I mentioned that I started working for Husk. "Husk is a local food system in Indiana—farms, processing, distribution, and retail grocery—which provides year-round access to local Indiana foods." It is a company that helps local farmers get their crop in stores for people like me to purchase. Eager to try their sweet corn in different recipes, I found one for muffins that sounded good.

This recipe was originally from Martha Stewart, but I found it via Pinterest here. I did a few things differently. First, I made 24 normal sized muffins versus the 6 jumbo ones that she does. I also added 8 ounces of Husk sweet corn to the mix. When it came to the amount of sugar for the tops, I just sprinkled some over the tops. I did not use a whole teaspoon since I made the normal size muffins

Blueberry-Corn Muffins

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling
3 tablespoons honey
2 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 cup blueberries

Directions:
1) Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray one jumbo muffin pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2) Place softened butter, 3/4 cup sugar, and honey in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until fluffy, about 1 minute. Add eggs; beat 1 minute more.
3) Whisk flour, cornmeal, and baking powder together in a medium bowl; add to butter mixture in mixer bowl. Beat until combined. Slowly pour in milk, beating on low, until just combined. Fold in blueberries. Divide dough among muffin cups. Brush tops with cold water; sprinkle 1 teaspoon of reserved sugar over each.
4) Bake until tops are browned, centers are set, and a cake tester inserted in center of muffin comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool in pans 5 minutes. Serve at once. Yield: 6 jumbo muffins.

Ease:
Honestly, I was not a fan of the batter. It was not easy to get into the muffin pan. Maybe that was why she made the larger ones.  The recipe was easy to follow, but it took a little while to make them since the batter was so thick.

The Family Test:
They taste delicious. I was a little skeptical of the corn and blueberry flavors together, but it really is a pleasantly sweet taste. Ella does not like corn (so weird), but she gobbled her muffin up. She did notice toward the end of the muffin that there was corn in it and picked out a few kernels, but she kept saying the muffin was "so delicious" so I think it is safe to say that she likes them. Kaylee liked them as well.  Adam hated the corn and blueberry together. He thinks they should be separate flavors.

Will I make them again?
Maybe. They taste really good. But ease plays into my desire to make them again and since the batter was such a pain, it may be a while before I make these again. They also are not quick to grab in my opinion because they really are better if they are warm. Since I like the flavor, I am thinking I will try to find a healthier blueberry muffin recipe that I can toss some sweet corn in to get the same flavor without the sticky cornmeal batter mess.

They turned out pretty though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...