Wednesday, May 7, 2014

May Mingle: Annie - Ramblings From a ‘Working’ Mom

About 4 years ago I met Annie at church. Through women's Bible study I was able to get to know her on a more personal level. Honestly though I think what really drew us to be close friends was that her husband Jeremy worked crazy hours when we first met. She would come hang out while Jeremy worked on Saturdays. This also brought her to have a love for playing board games and we now get together as families to hang out and play games. I consider Annie to be one of my dearest friends. I hope you enjoy what she has to share with all of you.

Check out other writings by Annie here.

Ramblings from a ‘working’ mom

I’m a mom. Am I a ‘stay-at-home’ mom, a ‘work-at-home’ mom, or a ‘work-outside-the-home’ mom? 

Yes, yes, and yes. Whoa, that’s a bold statement. Let me say it again, I believe I am all of those. In fact, I believe all moms belong in all three categories. We are often thrust into these ‘categories’ and unfortunately ‘defined’ by these categories.

I am a stay-at-home mom while my daughter is awake in the morning and at home in the evening.

I am a work-at-home mom when my daughter is sick and I need to stay home with her, but still have to work during naptimes.

I am a work-outside-the-home mom every day.

So how do all moms fit into these categories? All moms are at home with their kids at some point during the day. All moms work at home, whether teaching your children how to say their ABC’s, count, or read. Whether they are online doing social media for a company, doing data entry during naptime, or taking the occasional phone call. All moms are work-outside-the-home because every day we represent our family and children with what we do. We work outside the home when we brave the day to run errands with the kid(s).

I am a mom. Over the last two years I have had a serious struggle with being a ‘work-outside-the-home’ mom. I have many many friends who are able to stay at home with their kids and that has been a constant battle for me. I’ve been angry and jealous. But not anymore. Do I still desire to be able to be at home all day with my daughter? Absolutely! But I’m confident that God has me where I need to be. I have tried so often to pray for a way to make my plan work, even though I know my plan never works.

I finished a Bible study back in February titled “Mercy Triumphs” by Beth Moore and, let me tell you, it definitely opened up my eyes. Beth Moore takes you through the book of James and opens your eyes to read it as you’ve never read it before. Week five was the best week for me. She talks about James 4:1-3:

                What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from your desires that battle within you? You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.
She then goes on to say this:

                “You are nothing so inanimate as an open book before God. You are an open heart, warm and beating. All your longings, lackings, disappointments, and delays are ever before Him. He sees. He knows. He is never deaf to your sighs.”
Moms, you are where you need to be right now. You are doing the best that you can for your family. God hears you.


I have been asking to stay at home for the wrong reasons. Part of that is my laziness, but that goes into a whole other blog post. J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...