Monday, May 12, 2014

May Mingle: Meggan - She Started It

Week 2 of May Mingle starts off with my best friend Meggan. I met Meggan at college and it has been a complete blessing knowing her and calling her friend. The story she shares with you below is one that tells me that God definitely had a hand in bringing us together as friends. She is one of the few people that I have let into my life and kept in my life even after long distances are between us. Enjoy.

If you would like to read more by Meggan, you can find her blog here.


She Started It

Holy cow! I cannot believe I'm here! But when your best friend asks you to post on her blog, you cannot say no. Well, really you could say no. But then you'd miss this incredible chance to tell the world a brilliant story. And who could turn that down?! I first met Krista my freshman year of college in 2003. Oh man – over 10 years ago. I'm pretty sure that makes us both old. But for the record – Krista is totally older than I am.... cough cough. When I first met her, she was very open to being friends with me. She was pretty. And if you have ever heard this girl sing – well, believe me. You'd join me in saying that she was talented. For many different reasons, Krista & I did not become instant friends. When you think the new girl on campus is trying to steal away your best friend & the guy you have a huge crush on, you stop seeing her as potential friend material. And start seeing her as the competition. Looking back on the situation, I can now tell you there was a lot of misinformation being fed to us both about each other. And also a teensy bit of jealously there...... Especially that one day I saw her taking a casual stroll with the man who would one day be my husband. Oh geez. Nothing can make two girls hate on each other more than being friends with the same guy. I left for the summer after my freshmen year & went home to work. That whole summer I kept getting these strange phone calls.... Mostly from the girls who all stayed behind in the dorms & got summer jobs around campus. These girls were very upset that the boys they all had crushes on seemed to only have the hots for Krista. Krista may all have you fooled that she is a modest stay at home wife & mother. But the Krista I know is WAY more than that. She is a bonafide hottie. The boys lined up around the block for this girl. And truthfully, that summer as I sat at home getting phone call after phone call about this girl Krista, I kind of realized that my first impressions of this girl were all wrong. Maybe I shouldn't be upset that this girl is “stealing” all the good people away. Maybe I should instead ask myself what makes this girl so great that all the people I love want to call her friend? I didn't know the answer to that question. So I came back from that summer determined to find out. I had long talks with Krista. I hung out with her. A lot. I went home with her. I met her beautiful family. I laughed with her. A lot. We shopped together. Ate together. Sat by each other in class. And it didn't take me long at all to see what all those people saw. Krista was the best. With truly one of the biggest & most beautiful hearts. And I found myself grateful for the second chance to get to really know her.

Together we've had all sorts of adventures together. She's the person I call at 2 a.m. Or when I just really need some sound advice. She's my mini-van driving, mom friend. She's the person who asks me the tough questions. She teaches me how to guard & protect my heart. She was the one who helped me through my sister's death. She stood right beside me at my wedding. And I beside her. She is my coffee obsessed, ice cream loving, powerhouse singing, flip flop wearing best friend. Who teaches me about the beauty in grace & second chances. That first impressions are thankfully not the end of the story. And that the people you love are carried with you on every step of every journey. If you find yourself in a situation where you really just don't know about someone. Give them the benefit of the doubt. Take them out for lunch. Or coffee. Get to know those weirdos. Because who knows? You may just end up with a best friend out of the deal.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...