Saturday, March 19, 2011

Ella's Birth Story

I woke up several times this morning to pee, but my 5 am pit-stop gave me a painful contraction so I decided to stay awake and time them.  Sure enough 10 minutes apart and very painful.

Adam woke up at 5:45 to get ready for work and my contractions were still the same, but extremely painful.  I asked him to pray with me before he left. He prayed, "Lord, if these contractions are real, please let them speed up and get closer together. If they are not real, please have them stop now so Krista can get some rest. Amen."

God answers prayer!

Adam went out to the kitchen to finish getting ready and my contractions shot straight to 5 minutes apart. I debated too long about grabbing Adam and before I knew it, he was already out the door and off to work.

My next contraction was 3 minutes apart!

I could not believe it! So, I timed several more.  All 3 minutes apart and killing my back.  This is when I started to freak out a little bit.  I called Adam and cried out to him saying, "I need you home! Even if these contractions stop. I need you here." I did not tell him how far apart they were, but I hoped that I conveyed the amount of pain I was in so he would rush home.

I decided I should probably call my doctor.

I dialed the number, but instead of being greeted by a person asking me what I would like to contact the doctor about, I was greeted by the voice mail system of the office. MEANING: I would not be able to get a hold of my doctor.

I was freaking out.

At this point Adam was still not home. Contractions are still 3 minutes apart and the baby was bearing into my back giving me about a 1 minute window to get things done between contractions.

I called Adam again. This time - no answer.

Now I am spazzing and pacing. Hoping that Adam pulls in at any moment.  That is when I realized I had not called Markita or even started to think about Kaylee and the fact that we need to get her somewhere with someone. The plan was that Markita would come get her, but because things were moving so fast and since I had not thought of this sooner, I was not sure how this part of the plan was going to play out. Thankfully, I did not have to contemplate it alone for long.

Adam was finally home!

He called his mom and she was sending his dad to pick Kaylee up.  While he was doing that, I called the hospital to let them know that I was coming, but could not get a hold of my doctor.  Adam then called our friends the Bakers to see if someone could come watch Kaylee until his dad arrived as we were running out of time. They were so great and Jonathan came right away.

As soon as he arrived, we headed to the hospital.

When we got to the hospital, the triage unit checked me and I was already at 8 cm so they admitted me and were able to get my doctor to let her know.  By the time I got to my room, I was at 9 cm.  The doctor finished breaking my water (it had a slow leak) and by the time she was dressed and ready, I was at 10 cm and ready to push.  I am not really sure how long I pushed for, but Adam and I both agreed that it was about 45 minutes or less. 

Little Elanor (Ella) Grace entered the world at 9:49am at 8 pounds 1 ounce and 22 inches long, making labor and delivery 4 hours 49 minutes long.

And so my life begins as a mother of two. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hurray!!! Congratulations! Your labor sounds a lot like mine, super fast. =o) I'm glad everything went well and I hope you and Elanor are doing well! God bless!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...