Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Useful Advice

Pass on some useful advice or information you learned and always remembered.

My natural tendency is to avoid conflict. I hate it. So, if I think I may offend you with my opinion, I simply will keep it to myself. If I choose to share my opinion on difficult topics with you, then I 1)really trust you, 2)love you very much, and 3)most likely am super scared to tell you what I think but feel like I really should. It is rare for me to take conflict head on.

In marriage you face lots of conflict. And honestly you cannot avoid it even if you have tried. Maybe you could, but it would not be healthy for your relationship. So, the best advice that I received when I got married was to never go to bed angry. 

Did I mention I also tend to harbor anger and resentment and if I don't handle it right away it eats at me for days? 

So, this advice is super challenging for me. Especially with having kids. How can you find time to work through an issue when your 2 and 4 year old kids are underfoot? 

But it is a piece of advice that saves me from days upon days of grouchiness and anger. Adam and I are able to talk things out and at least come to some sort of compromise or at least resolve the part of the argument that is making us irritated with each other even if the conflict itself is still unresolved.

I am sure that there are lots of other wonderful advice I have learned, but this was the first to come to mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...